CAUTION

This 'blog will contain words like ovulation and cirvical fluid, as well as graphic descriptions of female bodily processes, if I feel like sharing any. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Willow's Birth Saga--Part Seven

Even as I grew very quickly into my role of mother and nurturer to this tiny body, I still fought with the devastation I felt at the circumstances I had just undergone. I talked a lot about it with Kevin during our few recovery days at the hospital. It helped me a lot when I finally realized that what I was feeling was mourning. I was suffering a very deep loss. Even though it was not the loss of anything physical, it was the loss of an experience that I had held as very, very dear and was looking forward to as if it was already a part of me. A part of me had been cut out along with the baby in that surgery, and it was a part that I would never, could never get back. I tried very hard not to be melancholy, and I was very quickly falling in love with this tiny girl we chose to name Willow, for the elf-like look she had from birth. But I was very glad when they took her to the nursery for some blood tests and Kevin went with them so I was finally alone in my room for half an hour. I finally had a chance to cry without pretending and with out explaining. I didn’t have to tell anyone why I was sad, what grief I was feeling. I wept in great heaving sobs, all alone, until I finally slept in exhaustion. I didn’t feel all better after that, but I didn’t feel as great a need to cry all the time. I still cried when I discussed the experience, and I’m actually crying as I’m writing this right now, but I think that was the beginning of my healing.
I am not glad that I had that experience. I do not think it is necessarily something I needed in order to learn something specific or become who I needed to be, but it is what happened, and I am able to see ways that I have grown emotionally and spiritually because of it, and I am grateful for that. I can go back and analyze all of the points where I would have changed the decision that was made and I believe there is a very great possibility that if things had been handled differently, it would never have come to a C-section. I hold absolutely no animosity toward any of the people involved. I truly believe that they were acting on their best understanding for the best good of the situation. I do fault the hospital procedures that put higher priority on expediency and liability avoidance than on best medical practice (i.e. remote fetal monitoring stations and the requirement of a 10 minute tracing). I am grateful for what I was driven to study and learn about childbirth options—particularly about midwifery and homebirths, and I am even grateful that I was driven/directed to leave the state for the birth of my second child because of the incredible people I was able to find in Utah to help me through my first successful natural birth. I don’t know that I would have made it through successfully if I was here in this medical climate, even if I had not had a previous Caesarean.
But that is another story for another installment—Rhys, my other birth.

3 comments:

L said...

At the expense of sounding like a preachy older sister, I will share with you a few thoughts from my perspective.

In this post, you say that “I am not glad that I had that experience. I do not think it is necessarily something I needed in order to learn something specific or become who I needed to be, but it is what happened, and I am able to see ways that I have grown emotionally and spiritually because of it, and I am grateful for that.”

Some day I think you will be glad for your experience. I don’t think it will be soon, but some day I think you will. All of our experiences make up who we become. Maybe one day it will help you comfort someone else who is experiencing grief over something that was taken from them, through no fault of their own, that they can never get back. “all these things shall give you experience and will be for thy good.”

Also, it teaches the important lesson, we are not in control. You had a blessing, the Lord was in control, he can over power hospital procedures if necessary. We can plan the perfect something and really look forward to it and be so disappointed when it doesn’t happen how we plan (or any other time we have a loss and experience grief), but you still got the part that was the most important, a wonderful, beautiful baby, who is sealed to you for eternity. There are many times in my life when things do not go as I have planned, ok a lot of times, but when I trust in the Lord, things always turn out. (my favorite scripture is Proverbs 3:5-6, “trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not to thy own understanding, in all they ways acknowledge him and he shall direct they paths.”) If we put our trust in God, as Alma says in Alma 38:5 he will deliver us from all out trials and troubles and afflictions and we will be lifted up at the last day.

Also, Willow’s birth is just one step, you then went on to have an amazing home birth. If you hadn’t had the first birth experience you would have had a very different experience with. You can be an inspiration to someone else who was robbed of natural childbirth and is faced with a medical community that discourages v-backs.

You also learned to follow the spirit, when the rest of us (well me) were telling you “this is not a good idea.” But you were praying about it and seeking the Lord’s guidance and followed His wisdom and not mans. This is a very important thing to learn and to be able to recognize.

Now, I think I am done. So will you please keep all my words and the next time I am going through something really hard, remind me of it all? Because in the midst of trial, it is sometimes hard to remember.

I love you and I am glad that you have 2 wonderful babies to start your family and that your are not limited in the number of children that you can have by how many times you can have a c-section:)

Love,

Liz

kate said...

i know i'm coming in way late in the game, but i loved reading about this and i REALLY wanted to hear about your homebirth....when is that coming?!!

R said...

I agree with Kate. Thanks for sharing, I want to read about Rhys now. :)

I also read all of your previous posts and it makes me excited for when I'm ready to get pregnant. :)